Monday, January 18, 2010

Penne with cauliflower and fresh basil

Penne with cauliflower and fresh basil


Pasta is fun and very simple to prepare. You should cook it "al dente" which is the way Italian people eat it; it is also healthier than overcooked pasta. I often add vegetables to my pasta dishes, I love it. This time, I added cauliflower to penne, according to a recipe from Mario Batali which I made my own.


Serves 3
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Difficulty: *


Ingredients:
- olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 pound grape vine tomatoes OR cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 head cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 pound dry penne
- 1 bunch frech basil, chopped
- freshly grated parmesan
- salt and pepper

Heat the olive oil in a large pan and add the garlic. cook until soften and lightly golden brown. Add the cauliflower and stir well.
Add the tomatoes and cook until they begin to break down. Note: I try to use organic ingredients so I wash the tomatoes and do not peel them. I either leave the skins or remove them when they detach themselves while cooking.
Add the cauliflower and stir well.
Add the hot water and cook about 20-25 minutes until the cauliflower is tender.

Bring cold water to a boil to cook the penne. Cook according to package instrutions, until tender but al dente. Drain well.
Add the pasta to the cauliflower and season with salt and pepper. Toss for 1 minute over high heat.
At the last minute, add the chopped basil. Sprinkle the grated parmesan on top and serve immediately.

Miam miam!

No comments:

Post a Comment